Monday, August 24, 2009

Assignment 7: ICT Related Ares In PGMA's SONA 2009

I did not actually saw or heard President Gloria Macapagal Arroyo’s State of the Nation Address last July 27, 2009 so I downloaded the full text of the SONA in the internet. When I read the text I found some areas related to ICT. There were many parts of the President’s SONA that were somehow related to ICT. However, these were the ones that caught me: The Creation of Department of ICT, Telecommunications issues, Best Fit Educational System, Technologies to Anticipate Natural Calamities, and the Fully Automated Elections.

Creation of ICT Department

This one caught me because I have been wondering if our country has a department which focuses on the issues related to Information Technology and the like. I remember reading “Let us have a Department of ICT” in the text of the Presidents SONA, it really caught my eye and made me read the full text. Part of this area was the BPO or the Business Process Outsourcing which enables our people to acquire work here in the Philippines and in abroad. BPO is a form of outsourcing that involves contracting of operations and responsibilities to a third party service provider. We cannot deny that our country, as I may say, has been left behind in terms of technological advancements (I don’t mean to demean my own country) but it’s what I have noticed. Compared to other countries that are in the first world, we should not be contented to be in this state, we should push through advancements to be in league with the first world countries. Our people are competent but I think we cannot acquire our edge without the aid of technology. I’m glad that our country is embracing technology and that we do not limit ourselves with what we have now. I know that some people are still resilient in resisting technology and honestly I don’t see the real reason why. I can just think of one thing, some people are just afraid to embrace technology because they don’t know how it’s done and how to use it and with an ICT department we can remedy it.

Telecommunications

Under this area was the issue of the telecommunications, especially the expiry of loads and the controversial loss of load even the expiring date has not yet occurred. I think this is related to ICT because of the fact that almost all of the people in the world have a cellular phone and cell phone devices has now become a necessity which was once considered as luxury (I think) we cannot deny that electronic devices such as phones which we use to communicate with whom we want to communicate with are important and essential. If we are in the business, we need these devices to communicate with our business partners or customers. If we are just normal people we need these devices to communicate with our loved ones. Whatever we are, rich or poor, communication devices are pretty much important to us. Now the issue at hand is the loss of load, this issue greatly affects the people, especially the customers of the telecommunications network that use their services. I do not know if the ones responsible for the loss of load are the telecommunications provider, it may be because of those spam messages and promos which we do not need but I have personally experienced losing my load even when I haven’t used all of it and I know that I’m not the only one who has experienced it. I’m also glad that the government has decided to take the matter in their hands and made an appropriate action for it. Now, the expiry dates have been extended but there are still cases of load loss, but I’m still glad the government made and action.


Best Fit Educational System

“Our educational system should make the Filipino fit not just for whatever jobs happen to be in offer today, but also for whatever economic challenge life will throw in their way” this line sure caught me because I want the people in the Philippines to be globally competitive and ready for the upcoming challenges. People should not always stick with traditions and should also consider innovations. In the past years I have heard news that our educational system is degrading and frankly I have witnessed students who are studying in schools but the amount of knowledge that they acquire is infantismal. We should have a best fit educational system for the new era of people to be properly equipped with the proper knowledge to be able to be competitive not only in the Philippines but also in other countries.

Technologies to Anticipate Natural Calamities

The Philippines is one the countries who is frequently visited by typhoons, storms and the like and these natural calamities have brought trouble in country not only in our economy but also in the lives of the Filipino people. It is good to know that our country is doing its best to acquire technologies that can help our lives and in this case, technologies that can help us anticipate incoming calamities and make us ready for it, considering the current state which is climate change. We really need technologies that could help us track typhoons and storms. I hope in the future we will be able to come up with devices that could all kinds of calamites like tsunamis and earthquakes because the people, especially those who live in calamity prone areas, can greatly benefit from these kinds of devices.

Automated Election

Many people fear the idea of automated elections. Just a day ago, I heard news related to this issue which was, the country could face great trouble if the first automated election would go awry. They say if the if the automation goes awry the country would not have a new set of leaders and there will be failure of elections. The companies that are going to administer the automated elections are not new to automated elections because they have already done this before and thus, they have already tested and proven it effective. I understand that the people are afraid of this idea because it is NEW and they fear the possible negative effects. Is it really the people? Or just the people who are in position? I think we should consider the automation to be in the benefit of the people of the Philippines. I think the companies involved in this automation would not decide to push through automated election if they think it is not effective. I mean, they wouldn’t just make a machine that will count all the votes. They must have tested and run simulations with it. These companies are not dumb to be trekking into something that is not fathomable. Automation can greatly ease the work of the people in terms of voting and in terms of counting the votes. Wouldn’t it be a lot easier and quicker if the one who will be counting the votes is a machine? Plus it could lessen the possibility of cheating.

No comments: